See a parade!
Once thanksgiving was complete, it was time to start thinking about Christmas. Crazy, I know! The last few years I've been wanting to venture downtown as our family of three and enjoy the Miracle on Kansas Avenue Light Parade. But for the past few years it has been bitterly cold and not worth it to us for the thought of getting a cold. But this year we took the plunge! Our family arrived right before the start of the parade so we wouldn't be waiting around for all that long for the show to start. It was great weather at that point, but quickly got chilly and we had to bundle up.
The magic in the air was incredible. Ethan clapped at the music and cheered when floats passed us by. He was so into all that went past us! I love watching through the eyes of a toddler. That was until we were warmed up by the hot air balloons.
Become the Griswalds!
The second weekend in December has traditionally been the McGee weekend designated to go hunting for the PERFECT Christmas tree! We have a favorite tree farm out in Wakarusa that we visit every year. They have a great selection and an "elf trail" that has many elfs that share a riddle. Again, the last few years its been beautiful when we've gone on our hunt... this year, not so much. It was bitterly cold! But we made the most of it!
Ethan loved running in and out of the trees and playing tag with me and Chris. It's amazing what a difference a year has been. Last year, Ethan want walking and I was carrying him and propping him up next to a tree for a picture opportunity. This year he was all into finding the perfect tree.
The tree farm is filled with fun stuff besides just the elf trail. Ethan enjoyed feeding the goats too and do we had to take our time and make sure they got their fill!
So now we have our tree and strap it to the top of the Avalon and off the McGee tree go back into town. We get a few looks, but it's how we roll!
Deck the Halls!
Once the tree was off the Avalon and in it's rightful place in the family room, Chris took that opportunity to put up some outdoor garland and lights. Nothing like getting on the second story when it's cold and slightly windy! He didn't complain and let me hang out inside with the roaring fire to put up our mantle decor and stockings.
Every once in awhile I'd get a call to bring him piping hot apple cider in a thermos. After three hours of outdoor fun, the garland was hung and the house outside was complete. Good thing because I took a screen shot of the temp when he finished up:
He was frozen and I was ready for some family time. The next day we decorated the tree and I loved having little fingers helping out! And I love how it came together... so does E!
So today we are one week away from Christmas and while all the traditions and hoopla is fun, I am looking forward to a few days with just our family.
If I don't say it again, hope you have a Happy Holiday!
Until next time!
E






