Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Griswald-like Christmas

Every year I insist that we take part in finding a Christmas tree farm, hiking it out in the cold (thank you for no snow this year!), cutting down the tree, securing it to the top of the car, hauling it into the house, and setting it up!

Since I was a little girl, my family has always taken part in this tradition, so it was only fair that I brinig that tradition into my family! I had a 4-ft tree in my apartment. I had a slightly larger tree in my first house, and in all the years of finding that perfect tree, we have gone to get the tree at Lowe's ONCE!

I must preface this story with what the "perfect tree" must be. The perfect tree must be tall and skinny so that it can fit ideally in the corner between the sliding glass doors and the fireplace. Tall and skinny out in the wild looks so much different than tall and skinny in the house!

This year, December 5, the McGee's loaded up the Solara and went out on our hunt. We have gone to this same tree farm for the past 3 years or so, and have found good luck there. Of course, we are finding luck inside the barn and not out in the "chopping" section. Country Christmas Trees flys in White Pine's from Wisconsin to sell. White Pine's are beautiful and full and have the ideal characteristics of what the McGee Christmas Tree should be! This year, they did not let us down. The Solara pulled in and the McGee dogs went on to greet the horses that they were almost nose to nose with. Chris and I walked inside and found the tree, but for some reason I still felt the need to see what we could get a saw into.. so we took off on a hike into the forest of trees and really came upon nothing that would fit the "perfect tree" persona. Back inside we go! I pay for the tree while Chris and several of the Farm Workers load to the netted green beast to the top of the Solara! How many two door vehicles do you see driving down the street with a 7-foot tree strapped to the top? Yes, that was the start of the Griswald-like day!

Once we got home, dad came over to help Chris get the tree off the car and into the house. It was at the moment when the tree was starting to come in the back door that both men realized it was too tall for our room. Out comes the hack saw, and off comes part of the trunk. A good inch or more I believe.

The tree was placed nicely into its holder, and it's perfectly straight... only it's much larger than originally imagined, and as the branches continued to "relax" from the netting, it continued to grow! A few days after it was installed into the house, lights went on, and a few days after that the ornaments were placed with care.
While our hunt for the perfect tree can sometimes be a hoot, no matter the outcome, the perfect tree always happens with a little McGee love!

Until next time!
E

PS: I have pictures of the tree on the Solara... that has to be the best part!

No comments:

Post a Comment