Pages

Friday, May 8, 2015

Happy Birthday Gatsby!

EDIT: I wrote this on April  and never hit "publish". Go figure!
___________________________________

Dear Gatsby,
It's so hard to believe that you are 10 years old today! We woke up and after getting both boys out of bed, we all sang Happy Birthday to you while you just wagged your tail!

Gatsby getting a bath which she's not fond of, but super cute! 
If someone were to have told me 10+ years ago, that I would have a Cocker Spaniel (let alone two), in my life, I would have laughed at them straight up. A springer spaniel bit off my bottom lip when I was in third grade (thank you plastic surgery, you'd never know!), and from them on I had a fear of all "spaniels". Chris on the other hand was raised with a blonde cocker spaniel male that was his buddy. Obviously Chris and I disagreed on the breed of dog to get, until our wedding. You see, Gatsby was my wedding gift from Chris (editors note: I got him  his first official road racing bike!). He had called breeder after breeder to ensure that we could pick out just the right dog to help ease my fears. We were lucky to find one right in our own backyard. Jeff is a handler and has shown dogs at Westminster... in fact, Gatsby's blood line has won best of show there several times! It's kind of a shame that we got the "runt" of the group, and yet she is perfect in so many ways.

So, back to you G-money! Hats off to you for sticking with us! You have been with us through:

  • Moving to a new house (with a bigger yard just for you!)
  • Adding Pippi to our family (you sort of taught her the ropes)
  • Cataract Surgery 
  • Basically losing your eye to glaucoma
  • Daily (three times a day actually) drops
  • Adding a little human in 2011
  • Adding another little human in 2014
  • Buying several cars over the years
You just go with the flow. Cockers get a bad rap for not always being great with kids and I can attest that you break that mold! I couldn't ask for a better dog to have my boys grow up loving! You are the first one in their room when they are crying or sad. You give lots of kisses first thing in the morning to let them know you're there to say hi. You don't growl or complain when they pull on your collar when starting to pull up and then starting to walk. You don't pull the leash when they want to take you for a walk in the house. You let both boys pull on your ears, legs and lips. You lick up all our tears to give comfort. You have been steadfast and loyal all these years. 

I should probably spend more time with my "first born child with four legs", and I will. But for now, I love watching you love our family... each and every one of us! 

Thank you for being a McGee with us, and for giving me the opportunity to love a Cocker Spaniel! 

Until next year! 
E